More Player Influence with Server Decisions/About a Possible Reset

jamgame5221

Hi there.

I think everyone has noticed in the last month or so that the server has really died off in popularity, with a lot of players quitting due to season burnout. This is partially due to the fact that the COVID-19 pandemic is getting better in many places around the world, with vaccines being rolled out in some countries, and hopefully in future life returning to some kind of normality. Another reason would be that the current map has become boring for many users, with them completing their projects that they started when the map reset. Due to this there has been a drastic decrease in player activity, often with peak hours only having a fraction of players that it did a couple of months ago. I can understand the tough situation that staff is in right now, being in-between largescale updates of 1.16 and 1.17 and can understand why they don't want to reset, but it is about time when they should. The server will only go down in player-count, and new users who join for the first time, expecting an active server will only see a few users on at one time, and are more likely to quit. I am also very thankful for the community aspect of VanillaVerse and don't want to see it die both in-game and on things such as the forums and the discord. This community aspect will be driven away from if users don't have a common interest though, and VanillaVerse provided that. Just scrolling down the discord user-list reminds me of the amount of users that are no longer active in the community. This map is still enjoyable for many users, but I would say that a higher quantity want a reset at this point. The server is becoming more and more like July 2019, and we all know what happened then.

Another thing that I'd like to talk about is the player influence towards larger server decisions. The last poll was in November, and will definitely make users feel less relevant on the decisions. This means they feel less interacted with. I am in the privileged position of being friends and communicating often with members of staff, and this allows me to have a better feeling of what goes on behind the scenes on VV. I also have an understanding of how servers work due to setting up and running some myself so can understand what they go through with moderation. There are also lots of users that will have similar experiences and would possibly benefit the community with their interaction being more heard/used. Once again, VV has a very close community and our ideas are listened to a lot more than other servers do, so we're all very lucky for that, but the more the merrier.

Overall I believe that a reset needs to happen soon to stop the server from completely dying out. This could be from more community events, such as the UHC tonight, but also from events such as the Karaoke's that occasionally happen. It's a way of bringing our community together.

Thanks for taking time to read this, and hope this is taken into account

Bocktrow

Dungeonmaster
Administrator
Hey dude!

Unfortunately, I have to agree with you, but let me explain why we didn't proceed to an update earlier...
Both Root and I have been very busy with our university's midterms. Unfortunately, despite being online due to COVID, this semester has been going on for a bit more than a month, with exams being rescheduled and multi-phase exams taking weeks of preparation.
On top of that, we both have day jobs, unfortunately, me full-time and Root part-time, which has hindered our ability to work on VV as much as we would have liked. We both know very well that the players have got burned out as much as it gets, but we have to make some necessary changes to VV to support the new season and, by extension, the new growth we expect to see.

As for the comms part on our side, I also have to admit that we haven't taken the best approach, especially since I never really could communicate the ideas/changes I had for the server. My main priority is building a dream admin team (which is well on its way!) for me to be a bit more "scolded" (😛) for not doing my best on that side. Nevertheless, I promise to keep trying and improve. A polling system would definitely help out when planning new features to see what you guys would want for the server.

As an immediate action on our side, I'm announcing the long-awaited reset tonight. I'd like to have a bit more time to polish the new stuff coming, but I'll guess we'll have to go in a small unofficial alpha/beta with some of these features. Nevertheless, I'm confident it's gonna work out!

Thanks for taking the time to send such extensive and well-laid-out feedback and for supporting us!

Clarinettist

Hi there.

I think everyone has noticed in the last month or so that the server has really died off in popularity, with a lot of players quitting due to season burnout. This is partially due to the fact that the COVID-19 pandemic is getting better in many places around the world, with vaccines being rolled out in some countries, and hopefully in future life returning to some kind of normality. Another reason would be that the current map has become boring for many users, with them completing their projects that they started when the map reset. Due to this there has been a drastic decrease in player activity, often with peak hours only having a fraction of players that it did a couple of months ago. I can understand the tough situation that staff is in right now, being in-between largescale updates of 1.16 and 1.17 and can understand why they don't want to reset, but it is about time when they should. The server will only go down in player-count, and new users who join for the first time, expecting an active server will only see a few users on at one time, and are more likely to quit. I am also very thankful for the community aspect of VanillaVerse and don't want to see it die both in-game and on things such as the forums and the discord. This community aspect will be driven away from if users don't have a common interest though, and VanillaVerse provided that. Just scrolling down the discord user-list reminds me of the amount of users that are no longer active in the community. This map is still enjoyable for many users, but I would say that a higher quantity want a reset at this point. The server is becoming more and more like July 2019, and we all know what happened then.

Another thing that I'd like to talk about is the player influence towards larger server decisions. The last poll was in November, and will definitely make users feel less relevant on the decisions. This means they feel less interacted with. I am in the privileged position of being friends and communicating often with members of staff, and this allows me to have a better feeling of what goes on behind the scenes on VV. I also have an understanding of how servers work due to setting up and running some myself so can understand what they go through with moderation. There are also lots of users that will have similar experiences and would possibly benefit the community with their interaction being more heard/used. Once again, VV has a very close community and our ideas are listened to a lot more than other servers do, so we're all very lucky for that, but the more the merrier.

Overall I believe that a reset needs to happen soon to stop the server from completely dying out. This could be from more community events, such as the UHC tonight, but also from events such as the Karaoke's that occasionally happen. It's a way of bringing our community together.

Thanks for taking time to read this, and hope this is taken into account
lmao was this from the 5 minute conversation that we had last night

jamgame5221

Hey dude!

Unfortunately, I have to agree with you, but let me explain why we didn't proceed to an update earlier...
Both Root and I have been very busy with our university's midterms. Unfortunately, despite being online due to COVID, this semester has been going on for a bit more than a month, with exams being rescheduled and multi-phase exams taking weeks of preparation.
On top of that, we both have day jobs, unfortunately, me full-time and Root part-time, which has hindered our ability to work on VV as much as we would have liked. We both know very well that the players have got burned out as much as it gets, but we have to make some necessary changes to VV to support the new season and, by extension, the new growth we expect to see.

As for the comms part on our side, I also have to admit that we haven't taken the best approach, especially since I never really could communicate the ideas/changes I had for the server. My main priority is building a dream admin team (which is well on its way!) for me to be a bit more "scolded" (😛) for not doing my best on that side. Nevertheless, I promise to keep trying and improve. A polling system would definitely help out when planning new features to see what you guys would want for the server.

As an immediate action on our side, I'm announcing the long-awaited reset tonight. I'd like to have a bit more time to polish the new stuff coming, but I'll guess we'll have to go in a small unofficial alpha/beta with some of these features. Nevertheless, I'm confident it's gonna work out!

Thanks for taking the time to send such extensive and well-laid-out feedback and for supporting us!
Glad to hear! And also the staff team is already pretty pog but new user blood in the team is always good